mb.kiteridersllc.com
Welcome to the Kite Riders LLC Message Boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:15 pm 
Site Admin

I posted the below info on the other Kegonsa thread, but starting a new thread for this Friday. Looks WINDY and the absolute perfect direction for Kegonsa's north shore.

Who's in? Anyone want to take some vids and pics?

Friday looks like more south in it, so Fish Camp should be better for rigging than it was today. Big shadow today due to SW direction.

--------------------------------------------------------
Copied from other thread.....

Kegonsa today was awesome. I rigged at Fish camp, but there was a big crack near the launch, so i launched out past the crack. Rode way way downwind though and the snow in the middle was half snow, half ice. Easy to go fast, but could only go about 70% all out. However, closer to shore the snow was 100% coverage, but thin. If you have sharp edges, good skis and able to edge really well, it was awesome.

I would not even bother if you are a snowboarder unless you have a switchblade mounted to your board.

There's a bar/restaurant between Fish Camp and Kegonsa State park that had a few ice boats moored and the snow there was awesome.

There was no-one else at all out on the lake. I was the only moving thing anywhere which was strange. I could tell though the ice boaters have been out as I can see the tracks they leave on the snow/ice.

The snow is not super grippy, but you could hit some good speed where the snow was better. I could probably hold close to 80-90% of an aggressive edge. I only hit 43mph, but looking to get out Friday for sure. Let's ride and bring cameras. I had both my camera and phone (gps - speedometer), but the camera battery is acting strange, so need to get a new battery. Getting some cool vids, but my battery is only lasting about 10 minutes, so hard to get much footage.

Let me know if you are up for Friday.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:28 pm 
Site Admin

Springers is the name of the bar/restaurant I was riding near. Could be a good place to rig and launch if Fish Camp doesn't work.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=42 ... 9&t=h&z=15

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, btw, it's really helpful to have an ice screw attached to a 2 - 3 foot rope with a carabiner on the end. It will make rigging a breeze on ice.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:16 am 
Site Admin

Forecast looks awesome for the winds and hoping the snow cover on the ice is as it was the other day, but there's a good chance it's going to be gone after today or tomorrow. Winds look best around 11:00 - 3:00.

I'm going to head to Fish Camp on Kegonsa around 11.

Hope to see others out and it's going to be fast.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:50 pm 
Site Admin

Well that was exactly as I expected except the winds were so strong that the quarter inch of snow on top was blowing all over and creating some interesting drifts. Mostly clear ice with some thick drifts littered all over the lake.

That was super fun. Hit 52 mph snowkiting...or should I say, icekiting / kiteskiing today. It was really really windy.

Started out with a 2012 6m SS Rally and was really powered and partly overpowered at times. Winds were well over 30 mph, so I hit 46 MPH on the 6m. I knew I could go faster and the plan was to try the 6m first and if if was comfortable, put up an 8m so I would feel uncomfortable, but have tons of power.

I think I can still go faster yet as I actually felt comfortable most of the time.

Craig Jefferds and Gregory D. McGuire came out after my first session, so I went up to a 2013 8m SS Rally and let Craig take my 6m.. I wanted more power and to be OVERPOWERED even though it was mostly ice. I wanted to test the limit and found it.

So I'd muddle upwind for 5-7 minutes (12 inches of depower) totally lit and then in one tack haul a** downwind in 20-30 seconds (fully power up the kite) and hope and pray to not get taken out by the infrequent drifts. Never fell, but hit 52 mph with the 8m. 2.5 hours of fast riding = spent legs, but a huge smile on my face. Thanks Craig and Greg for taking pics and vids. Can't wait to see the footage.

All that being said, it was a day NOT for the faint of heart or for lesser skilled riders. Ice is really hard to edge on. There was still 1/2 inch snow along the shoreline, but it's probably melted by now. I have to say that I never felt out of control though and you can learn a lot about speed, trimming, power, edging, etc by riding on fast surfaces. Cool stuff.

That was fun, just wish more were able to join. Next time...and if there's any huge warm up, the water will probably open up near shore.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:12 am 

That was fun. Beautiful day on Lake Kegonsa, next time I'll sharpen my edges and have more fun. Too much wind for the iceboat regatta, but not for Bob.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:38 pm 

Wow, way to combine your skills and equipment knowledge to make something special out of what would otherwise be deemed unridable.
Kudos!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:51 am 
Site Admin

Craig...thanks for posting the pics. I learned a lot the last few days of riding fast and the pics validate some of the things I was wondering about. I have a lot of video footage I'm working through and planning to post a short video soon. I got really sick right after, but getting much better already. Just a nasty cold.

Jens...yea, boredom is a good motivator sometimes. I have to say that snow soon would be a welcome change even though I think I can still go faster and may have to try if we don't get more snow.